Child Support Attorney Serving Ontario, California

If you are a single parent in Southern California you have likely experienced the financial burdens of raising a family in an area with a high cost of living. The average cost to raise a child in the United States is $233,610 with childcare being as high as $7,000 to $15,000 a year in some cities. These exorbitant costs can be even more painful for parents who are living separately. 

Child support was established so that both parents could fairly contribute to costs associated with the needs of their children and yet, according to the U.S. Census, 7.4 million single parents choose not to pursue a support order. Unfortunately, a parent may believe that an attorney is too expensive, so instead, they shoulder the financial burden alone.

At the Law Office of Shelly Jean John, I offer a variety of affordable options so that you can use your money to take care of your children. With locations in Ontario and Riverside, I serve clients in San Bernardino and Riverside Counties.

Why Some Parents Don’t
Ask for Child Support

There are a variety of reasons that some custodial parents choose not to ask for financial support including:

  • Uncertainty as to whether the other parent can/will pay
  • A preference to avoid contact with the other parent
  • A mistaken belief that because the other parent quit their job the court won't order support
  • Concerns about legal fees

A family law attorney can assist in communicating with your child’s other parent and help you pursue fair child support. Moreover, with my Lawyer for a Day program, you can hire me just to go to your child support hearing, engage in settlement negotiations, or do only certain tasks in your case. Many of my clients have found that they can fill out the paperwork on their own, or they use a paralegal at a lower cost and then use me for the more difficult parts of the process.  

Clear Answers to Your Child Support Questions

Contact Me Today

Child Support Orders in California

Child support is governed by the California Family Code. The payment is generally set using the state Child Support Guideline formula which takes into consideration each parent's income, withholdings, deductions, and the amount of time the child(ren) is in each parent's care. You and the other parent can agree to a "non-guideline" amount which can be established as a court order. If there is not an agreement, the San Bernardino or Riverside County commissioner or family court judge has the final say on the amount.

When a parent quits their job without a good reason, the court can "impute income" so that a child support order is calculated using the parent's previous income. The court also has the authority to "impute" an amount of income that the parent could be earning if they accepted jobs available to him/her.

The Law Office of Shelly Jean John can argue before a county commissioner or judge on your behalf.  I can do this on a limited scope basis so that you are only paying me for the day in court. I am licensed to appear before all California superior courts, including Riverside County and San Bernardino County.

Changing Your Child
Support Arrangement

If your existing child support agreement is no longer suitable, you can seek to obtain a modification.  Sometimes, to alter your current child support arrangement, there needs to have been a change of circumstances such as a change in the needs of the child, an increase in the income of one or both parents, or a job loss.  However, you are allowed to increase your child support to the "guideline" amount without a change of circumstances if the amount you are receiving is lower than the Child Support Guideline formula.  

At the Law Office of Shelly Jean John, I can discuss with you other situations that might qualify as changed circumstances and how your child support amount may be calculated. You can meet with me via video conference, or schedule a telephone consultation. In-person consultations in the Ontario or Riverside offices will be resuming shortly.

Child custody and support issues can be stressful and volatile. I can guide you through the process with compassion, respect, and competency.  I have been helping families with child support issues for more than 20 years and am an experienced family law attorney.  Together we will pursue the child support arrangement that’s right for you and your family. I’m passionate about families and can assist in all aspects of your case, including depositions, discovery requests, and replies, child support calculations, divorce, child custody issues, drafting or consulting regarding Settlement Agreements, drafting and enforcement of Judgments, Request for Orders, and other pleadings. 

Discuss Your Case with an Ontario, California Child Support Attorney

Whether you are in need of a child support arrangement, or you want a modification because of changed circumstances, I have the experience and skills to help you achieve your objectives. Serving residents in both San Bernardino and Riverside Counties, I offer both full-service and limited role options. Call me today at the Law Office of Shelly Jean John for a free consultation. We will discuss your needs and build a strategy to protect your family’s best interests.